Monday, August 16, 2010

Scwabble.

I hate feeling stupid. I hate it even more when a guy makes me stupid. I hate it when my grandma makes me feel stupid. I hate it the most when a guy and my grandma make me feel stupid and it involves sucking at a board game.

So one night last year a friend from school who was in Vancouver (I was in San Diego) asked me on facebook chat if "I wanted to play scrabble." Seeing that we were in different cities, I thought he was joking. So I said, "how did you know?!?" Next thing I knew I was invited to an online scrabble game. Oh, he was serious.

I go along with it and play the stupid scrabble game. He is really fucking good. It's humiliating. He uses almost every single letter on every turn. He uses words I have never heard of. The score was like 400 to 50. He spelled thing like ambiguous and the longest word I got was goat. We weren't that good of friends so I left feeling rather humiliated about about little rendezvous. He later told me that his mom had been the state champ at scrabble and he was a badass too.

Another time was when I was visiting with my grandma a couple of years ago, and a similar experience happened. She killed me-completely put my words to shame. So now after another experience like this I am pretty sure I am border line mentally handicapped. It was time to take action. I went home to Hawai'i to find my mother had also become a scrabble maniac. She humiliated me too. So I began to play with her everyday. I got pretty into it and started memorizing obscure words that use Q and X.

My game has improved significantly and I would like a rematch with my friend. I play almost everyday with my two cousins. They are six and nine. The six year old is named John. He doesn't pronounce his Rs and says, "ALEXXXX!!!! Can we play scwabble???" He can't come up with words so I sabotage his turn and innocently suggest words to him that better my agenda. It's sick but I love winning. This way I can take advantage of their young minds to get my daily satisfaction of a win. I remember my stepdad telling me during tennis season of my senior year that he didn't think I had that "fire to win" that a true competitor has. Guess he was wrong.


fresh veggies, sunshine, scrabble, and a beautiful man. What more could a woman want?

1 comment:

  1. JC! How did you snap this pic of me an Keaka when we thought we were having a private beach moment with Tia standing by, just outside of the lens of the snooping camera? Cute post :-) How about Lunier and Titular and Ka and meed? playing partner 'finelady' kicks my butt

    ReplyDelete