Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The compliment bank/ Dentist


It's been almost five years since I last went to the dentist. I know, gross right? My teeth have felt and looked fine. I brush and floss regularly so I figured that I didn't really need to go....and also because I absolutely hate the dentist. I hate the drilling, the sawing, the prying. I can think of about a million better ways to spend my free time.

But against all odds (and frequent stresses about how important dental health is from my mother)  I just went for a check up! Let me tell you. It was actually an MAGICAL experience.

It starts by walking into a gorgeous and zen office (nothing like the one in Waikoloa Village that I used to go to). Then they ask you to fill out some papers on their comfy couches and ask if they can get you any tea of coffee. Normally I would say yes but it seems odd to offer coffee when someone is basically going to be sticking their head in your mouth in the next ten minutes right?  That would be just mean.

My name is called by a pretty lady with glasses, a big smile, and scrubs. She is basically the coolest lady ever. We start talking about mountain biking, snowboarding vs skiing, and how awesome Whistler  is and that we are basically the luckiest people ever. She says that she truly cares about helping people and their dental health. I can jive with this I'm thinking. There are scenes of Blue Ocean playing on screen above me with subtitles so I'm also getting to learn about Walrus migration patterns while she carefully inspects my teeth.

Then the dentist comes in! He looks at my teeth and says... "you have gorgeous and healthy teeth!!! It's really been five years since you've been in?" I feel quite proud all of the sudden.

Then he says "Looks like you had braces." I did not I proudly tell him feeling like I must have won the genetic lottery.

The compliments continue... The assistant asks me if I was shooting pictures in the bike park because she thinks that she remembers seeing me. I tell her that it probably wasn't me and that I have a generic face because I often get asked things like "Are you older Jake's sister?" or "Don't you remember me from pottery class?" to which the answer is often "No, I've never seen you in my life" Then she genuinely replies "I don't think you have a generic face at all. I think you're actually quite beautiful." IS THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENING!? I blush, how nice. It seemed like she was just being nice and genuine.

I told my friend about this who referred me about this awesome experience at the dentist. She had just gotten her wisdom teeth out. She infomed me that after the surgery they looked her in the eye and thanked her for being such a wonderful patient. She LOVES this particular office and had highly recommended it me. I too have already told everyone how great this place is.

So what I draw from all this is that Whistler Dental is that they are either:

A) experimenting with a marketing strategy where they just compliment people all day long to make them love the dentist, tell their friends, and bring in more business.

B) are downing happy pills

C) actually work for a good company and are happy people

Whichever is the case, I had an awesome experience. They should just change their name to "The compliment bank that sometimes cleans teeth." The dentist is now my favorite place ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment